St Peter upon Cornhill stands on one of the most historic Christian sites in London.
It dates back to AD179 when it was the site of the Roman basilica built by Lucius, the first Christian ruler of Britain.
The name Cornhill derives from the Corn Market which was situated there and dated back to Roman times.
An earlier church is mentioned in records dating back to 1552 - its bell was faulty and Robert Mott, Master Founder of the Aldgate Foundry, was casting a new bell.
It was hung in the steeple but shortly after the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London and subsequently rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1687.
The reference to "Pancakes and Fritters" alludes to the wares which were sold to the local workers - the 'fast food' of old London!