The site of St Katherine Cree dates back to 1108 when it was served by the Augustan Priory of Holy Trinity (Christ Church).
The church of St Katharine Cree was established as a separate church in the 1200's.
It took its name from the original priory as the word 'Cree' is an abbreviation of "Christ Church".
The body of the church was rebuilt in 1631 during the years preceding the Civil War, and is one of only eight churches in the City to survive the Great Fire of London.
St Katherine Cree is located near Leadenhall market.
The market was so called as it was located, in the 14th century, around a great house which boasted a lead roof.
"Maids in white aprons" refers to the costume of the women of the early 1600's who sold the wares which included meat, game, poultry and fish.
In 1666 the market was partially destroyed in the Great Fire of London.